The CDC offers several steps to help dentists ensure the safety of their dental water.
- Use water that meets EPA regulatory standards for drinking water.
- Consult with the dental unit manufacturer for appropriate methods and equipment to maintain the recommended quality of dental water.
- Follow recommendations for monitoring water quality provided by the manufacturer of the unit or waterline treatment product.
- Discharge water and air for a minimum of 20-30 seconds after each patient from any device connected to the dental water system that enters the patient’s mouth.
- Consult with manufacturer on the need for periodic maintenance of anti-retraction mechanisms.